[Gluster-users] Need some clarifications about the disperse feature

Xavier Hernandez xhernandez at datalab.es
Wed Nov 26 09:50:57 UTC 2014

Hi Ayelet,

I attached a spread sheet with some test data. It contains 3 sets of tests:

* Tests with 0-byte files (touch)
* Tests with 1-byte files
* Tests with 1 MB files

For each set, a creation (write), a recursive ls, a read and a rm is
done over 11100 files distributed in 111 directories by 10 concurrent
processes.

Each individual test is performed twice: one run with all caches
(gluster and filesystem) cleared, and another run just after finishing
the first one (that should have caches full). The only exception is rm,
that cannot be done twice (the second test takes almost no time because
there's nothing to delete).

x1 means a single brick volume.
x3 means a distributed volume with 3 bricks.
x1_r2 means a replica-2 volume.
x1_r3 means a replica-3 volume.
x1_d3_1 means a dispersed 3:1 volume.
x1_d5_1 means a dispersed 5:1 volume.
x1_d6_2 means a dispersed 6:2 volume.

These tests have been made in a virtualized environment, so I'm not very
sure if the comparison is reliable or not. You should test it in your
environment with your workload and see how it works. If possible, I
would also be very interested to know your results :)

I think there's some room to improve read performance, that probably is
the worst part, but this will be done after being sure it's really stable.

Xavi