[Gluster-users] Gluster Client and high availability

Tiziano Müller tiziano.mueller at stepping-stone.ch
Tue Jun 24 16:40:16 UTC 2014

Hi Ryan

The documentation for GlusterFS is somehow scattered. A good explanation for me
was this one: http://joejulian.name/blog/glusterfs-replication-dos-and-donts/

As far as I've understood it (others please correct me if I'm wrong): when a
client connects to any server in your GlusterFS cluster and requests access to a
volume, he gets the list of servers for that volume and the configuration of the
volume. In normal operation it is then the client who does the replication. In
case one server crashes, the client still knows the other servers and continues
operation using the servers left.
As JuanFra already wrote there is an option to specify an alternative server for
the initial connection (for getting the configuration), but this has nothing to
do with the failover/replication (this is defined while creating the volume),
only when mounting the volume.

Best regards,
Tiziano