[Gluster-users] GlusterFS 3.4 striped volume disk usage

Jae Park jpark at yp.com
Wed Jun 11 01:19:44 UTC 2014

In GlusterFS 3.4.3 server,

When I create a volume with

    gluster volume create NEW-VOLNAME stripe COUNT NEW-BRICK-LIST...

and store some files, the volume consumes 1.5 times space of actual data stored, regardless of the number of stripes.
e.g. If I create 1GB file in the volume with

    dd if=/dev/urandom of=random1gb bs=1M count=1000

It consumes 1.5GB of total disk space of the bricks. "ls -alhs", "du -hs", and "df -h" all indicate the same fact - 1.5GB of space used for an 1GB file. Inspecting each brick and summing up the usage also shows the same result.

Interestingly, this doesn't happen with the newer version, GlusterFS 3.5 server. i.e. 1GB file uses 1GB of total brick space - normal.
It's good that it is fixed in 3.5, but I cannot use 3.5 right now due to another issue.

Is this an expected behavior? Or do I have a wrong option? (I left everything default)

Thanks,

Jae