[Gluster-users] Gluster NFS crashing

Franco Broi franco.broi at iongeo.com
Tue Apr 15 06:22:53 UTC 2014

The whole system came to a grinding halt today and no amount of
restarting daemons would make it work again. What was really odd was
that gluster vol status said everything was fine and yet all the client
mount points had hung.

On the node that was exporting Gluster NFS I had zombie processes so I
decided to reboot, took a while for the ZFS JBOD's to sort themselves
out but I was relieved when it all came back up - except that the df
size on the clients was wrong...

gluster vol info and gluster vol status said everything was fine but it
was obvious that 2 of my bricks were missing. I restarted everything,
and still 2 missing brick. I remounted the fuse clients and still no
good.

Just out of sheer desperation and for no good reason I disabled the
Gluster NFS export and magically the missing 2 bricks reappeared and the
filesystem was back to its normal size. I turned NFS exports back on and
everything stayed working.

I'm not trying to belittle all the good work done by the Gluster
developers but this really doesn't look like a viable big data
filesystem at the moment. We've currently got 800TB and are about to add
another 400TB but quite honestly the prospect terrifies me.