[Gluster-users] No performance difference using libgfapi?

Humble Devassy Chirammal humble.devassy at gmail.com
Fri Apr 4 07:05:20 UTC 2014

Hi David,

Regarding hdparm:

 'hdparm' has to be used against  SATA/IDE device.

--snip--
       hdparm - get/set SATA/IDE device parameters

       hdparm provides a command line interface to various kernel
interfaces supported by the Linux SATA/PATA/SAS "libata" subsystem and the
older
       IDE driver subsystem.  Many newer (2008 and later) USB drive
enclosures now also support "SAT" (SCSI-ATA Command Translation) and
therefore
       may  also  work  with hdparm.  E.g. recent WD "Passport" models and
recent NexStar-3 enclosures.  Some options may work correctly only with
       the latest kernels.

--/snip--

 Here in your guest , its 'virtio' disk ( /dev/vd{a,b,c..} which uses
'virtio' bus and virtio-blk is not ATA, so this looks to be an incorrect
way of using 'hdparm'.

More or less, now the virt software allows you to use "virtio-scsi" ( the
disk shown inside the guest will be sd{a,b,..}, where most of featureset is
respected from scsi protocol point of view.. you may look into that as
well.

--Humble