[Gluster-users] Gluster over ADSL

Hamilton Vera hamilton.listas at gmail.com
Wed Sep 18 17:30:29 UTC 2013

Greetings friends

I have a mission to synchronize 2 file servers over an ADSL (10 Mbit) link,
I would like to know from you if gluster is suitable for this kind of
operation or should I move to something like Unison.

Server A   <->   Server B   , both with RW operations

Most documentation I have read so far describes LAN or WAN environment over
dedicated super fast and reliable network interfaces.

Checking in IRC #gluster I got the following answer from a good fellow

"Gluster is not, per se, a tool for keeping file servers in sync.  If you
use gluster then you would use geo-replication to sync your primary storage
to the server on the other side of the ADSL line"

"AFR (replication) is synchronous. Clients write to both/all servers. Your
ADSL line is not suitable for AFR, there's too much latency. geo-rep is
asynchronous, which is what I suppose you mean by unilateral."

I am unable to keep tracking of IRC right now due to local firewall
policies.

I am worried that geo-repo is just suitable to mirror a Master Server to
Several Slaves, "almost" like rsync.

Could someone enlight me ?

Thanks a lot

Hamilton Vera

--
Hamilton Vera
int Administrator (char Network[],char ComputationalSystems[])