[Gluster-users] Disappointing documentation?

Joe Julian joe at julianfamily.org
Tue Mar 5 20:40:21 UTC 2013

On 03/05/2013 08:51 AM, Jason Villalta wrote:
> I think some people would benefit from more recipe examples,
> especially around using with Virtualization. (KVM, Openstack,
> Cloudstack, OpenNebula).  I know it is not the job of Gluster to tell
> people how to configure these other systems but maybe a quick list of
> will work, sorta work and not work at all.  I know from my personal
> experience I have spent a lot time testing different
> configuration/combinations of these virtualization systems and Gluster
> before find what seems to work acceptably for my uses.
I don't suppose you added the results of your testing to the wiki
somewhere?
>  Admittedly most of the issues are around this stubborn
> FUSE/Direct-IO/ODirect support in most distributions (Ubuntu/CentOS).
>  I think if these FUSE mounting IO issues were resolve/(made better)
> people would be A LOT happier to use Gluster.  I think there will
> always be weird hardware related issues that will crop up in Gluster
> that all the documentation in the world can't fix but getting a clear
> supported path for (Cloud/KVM/Gluster/FS of choice) would
> help tremendously or at least allow people to determine if Gluster is
> the right fit.
That O_DIRECT issue has been resolved in EL (aka RHEL, CentOS,
Scientific Linux, etc) 6.3.

> My 2 cents.

Thanks.

On that note, as well, I'd like to remind everybody that open source
isn't about being a producer or a consumer. If you know something, share
it. Add it to the wiki, or blog, email, Facebook, Google+, etc. You
don't have to be a coder to be part of any open source project. I
haven't written anything in C for over 20 years, but I'm still a part of
the Gluster Community. I'm also becoming more involved in puppet,
logstash, and OpenStack.

I know that before I got involved with Gluster I always felt like there
was "them" that made the software, and "us" that used whatever they gave
us. I knew I didn't have the time to contribute code so I quietly used
free software. Since I've gotten involved, I've realized how easy it is.
Get involved. It's fun. :)