[Gluster-users] 40 gig ethernet

James purpleidea at gmail.com
Mon Jun 17 03:01:07 UTC 2013

On Sun, Jun 16, 2013 at 9:03 PM, sal poliandro <popsikle at gmail.com> wrote:
> On a side not the native linux drivers have not really kept up with the 40gb
> cards. Linux still has issues with some 10gb cards. If you are going 40gb
> talk to the people that license the dna driver.  They are in paramus nj and
> do a lot of higer end networks with proper Linux drivers. The media (dac
> cables or om4 mtp) dont seem to affect performance much as long as you dont
> push the dac longer than 3-5 meeters.

I have to jump in here and add that I'm with you for the drivers
aspect. I had a lot of problems with the 10gE drivers when getting
gluster going. I haven't tested recently, but it's a huge worry when
buying hardware. Even RedHat had a lot of trouble confirming if
certain chips would work!

The other issue I have is with hardware RAID. I'm not sure if folks
are using that with gluster or if they're using software RAID, but the
closed source nature and crappy proprietary tools annoys all the
devops guys I know. What are you all doing for your gluster setups? Is
there some magical RAID controller that has Free tools, or are people
using mdadm, or are people just unhappy or ?

Cheers,
James

PS: FWIW I wrote a puppet module to manage LSI RAID. It drove me crazy
using their tool on some supermicro hardware I had. If anyone shows
interest, I can post the code.