[Gluster-users] 3.4.beta4 - Peer Connected but in State "Accepted Peer Request"

Ryan Aydelott ryade at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Jul 12 19:13:03 UTC 2013

I had a node that was attached but not functioning properly. In this case the gluster daemon itself wouldn't launch giving this at startup: http://pastebin.com/rnsMNGBT

I went into /var/lib/glusterd and removed everything under peers/volumes - thus allowing the daemon to start cleanly.

After doing a gluster volume sync from a known good peer - everything appears normal except I cannot add any new volumes using that peer:

volume create: perftest: failed: Host cs75-i is not in 'Peer in Cluster' state

Peer status reads:

Hostname: cs75-i
Uuid: 339280d7-b4d3-414b-be84-e8e4638f3751
State: Accepted peer request (Connected)

restarting the daemon again on cs75-i yields:

Hostname: cs75-i
Uuid: 339280d7-b4d3-414b-be84-e8e4638f3751
State: Peer in Cluster (Connected)

To which I then receive:

volume create: perftest: success: please start the volume to access data

The questions is, what is the difference between these two states, and why does a simple restart on the daemon correct the issue?