[Gluster-users] frequent split-brain detected, aborting selfheal; background meta-data self-heal failed

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at wpkg.org
Tue Jan 8 20:27:16 UTC 2013

On 01/08/2013 09:02 PM, Jeff Darcy wrote:

> * Why are there so many metadata operations, when those are usually rare?

It could be our environment make the above more likely, because all servers accessing glusterfs run a cronjob at the same time:

- look up data from a database
- create any "missing" directories, i.e. mkdir /gluster/mount/...

It is "a bit" reproducible with the following script run at the same time:

for i in $(seq 1 1000); do
    mkdir -p /gluster/mount/dir/$i /gluster/mount/dir/$i/_logs /gluster/mount/dir/$i/pub
done

When running this on 2 servers, I can see (successful) self heal kicking in on one of the servers.
I didn't test it very intensively - but on the other hand, I *only* see these failing self-heals on directories created automatically, as described above.

Does it make any sense?

--
Tomasz Chmielewski
http://wpkg.org