[Gluster-users] glusterfs performance issues

Joe Julian joe at julianfamily.org
Mon Jan 7 21:19:49 UTC 2013

You have a replicated filesystem, brick1 and brick2.
Brick 2 goes down and you edit a 4k file, appending data to it.
That change, and the fact that there is a pending change, is stored on
brick1.
Brick2 returns to service.
Your app wants to append to the file again. It calls stat on the file.
Brick2 answers first stating that the file is 4k long. Your app seeks to
4k and writes. Now the data you wrote before is gone.

This is one of the processes by which stale stat data can cause data
loss. That's why each lookup() (which precedes the stat) causes a
self-heal check and why it's a problem that hasn't been resolved in the
last two years.

I don't know the answer. I know that they want this problem to be
solved, but right now the best solution is hardware. The lower the
latency, the less of a problem you'll have.