[Gluster-users] GlusterFS performance

Nux! nux at li.nux.ro
Wed Feb 27 13:34:05 UTC 2013

On 27.02.2013 09:37, Nikita A Kardashin wrote:
> To Replicated gluster volume: 89MB/s
> To Distributed-replicated gluster volume: 49MB/s
>
> Test command is: sync && echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches && dd
> if=/dev/zero of=gluster.test.bin bs=1G count=1

Hello Nikita,

To me that sounds just about right, it's the kind of speed I get as
well. If you think of it, what happens in the background is that the 1GB
file is written not only from you to one of the servers, but also from
this server to the other servers, so it gets properly
replicated/distributed.
So depending on your setup, you are not writing 1GB file once, but 3-4
times, hence the drop in speed.
You could squeeze a bit more out of it if you can create the volumes
over the servers' secondary nic so servers-to-server traffic goes
through there.

Nux!
www.nux.ro