[Gluster-users] Invisible Files?

Vijay Bellur vbellur at redhat.com
Tue Dec 3 18:00:09 UTC 2013

On 12/03/2013 02:36 PM, Alan Simpson wrote:
> Hello List,
>
> I am a relative newbie to gluster so I wonder if someone could help me
> to troubleshoot a problem. I appear to have invisible files. The
> following illustrates:-
> ls -la
> total 92
> drwxr-xr-x.  7 root root 8192 Dec  3 08:53 .
> drwxr-xr-x.  4 root root 8192 Nov 28 12:12 ..
> drwx------. 12 root root 8192 Nov 28 12:20 def.com
> drwx------. 12 root root 8192 Nov 28 12:19 ghi.com
> drwx------. 12 root root 8192 Nov 28 12:19 jkl.com
> drwx------. 12 root root 8192 Nov 28 12:20 xyz.com
> [root at ww04h06 domains]# mkdir abc.com
> mkdir: cannot create directory `abc.com': File exists
> [root at ww04h06 domains]#
>
> The directory abc.com does not appear in the ls but I cant create it
> with the second. This folder is a glusterfs mount from a distributed
> pair of gluster bricks.
>
> Where should I start looking?

The brick log files might be a good starting place to determine which
brick failed the operation. After that, you can check the corresponding
brick to determine if abc.com exists there.mkdir operation is by default
dispatched to all bricks in a distributed volume and a failure on any
one of them can cause the mkdir operation on the mount point to fail.

-Vijay