[Gluster-users] cannot create a new volume with a brick that used to be part of a deleted volume?

Brian Candler B.Candler at pobox.com
Fri Sep 21 00:01:12 UTC 2012

On Thu, Sep 20, 2012 at 02:56:00PM -0400, Doug Hunley wrote:
> OK, again I'll ask: what is a typical scenario for me as a gluster
> admin to delete a volume and want to add one (or more) of its former
> bricks to another volume and keep that data in tact? I can't think of
> a real world example.

You might want to decouple a volume from gluster and keep it for use
separately.

In that case, marking the data as "was part of gluster" does avoid
accidentally re-introducing it into gluster later.

Or perhaps gluster should simply refuse any add-brick operations where the
new brick directory is not empty?