[Gluster-users] Throughout over infiniband

Stephan von Krawczynski skraw at ithnet.com
Mon Sep 10 08:03:14 UTC 2012

On Mon, 10 Sep 2012 08:48:03 +0100
Brian Candler <B.Candler at pobox.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 09, 2012 at 09:28:47PM +0100, Andrei Mikhailovsky wrote:
> >    While trying to figure out the cause of the bottleneck i've realised
> >    that the bottle neck is coming from the client side as running
> >    concurrent test from two clients would give me about 650mb/s per each
> >    client.
>
> Yes - so in workloads where you have many concurrent clients, this isn't a
> problem.  It's only a problem if you have a single client doing a lot of
> sequential operations.

That is not correct for most cases. GlusterFS always has a problem on clients
with high workloads. This obviously derives from the fact that the FS is
userspace-based. If other userspace applications eat lots of cpu your FS comes
to a crawl.

> [...]
> Have you tried doing exactly the same test but over NFS? I didn't see that
> in your posting (you only mentioned NFS in the context of KVM)

And as I said above NFS (kernel-version) does have no problem at all in these
scenarios.
And it does not have the GlusterFS-problems with multiple concurrent FS action
on the same client, too. Neither there is a problem with maximum bandwidth.

Stephan