[Gluster-users] Block replication with glusterfs for NFS failover

Brian Candler B.Candler at pobox.com
Tue Oct 23 18:33:40 UTC 2012

On Tue, Oct 23, 2012 at 01:55:01PM +0200, Runar Ingebrigtsen wrote:
>    to enable NFS state transfer between hosts in a failover SAN, it is
>    necessary to have the NFS state data on the exact same blocks on both
>    storage nodes:

You are reading a document for something which is not glusterfs.

>    Can I somehow enable block-for-block replication with GlusterFS?

No. You are reading documentation for something completely different: a pair
of machines synchronised at the block level using DRBD, in a master/slave
configuration (that is: all writes must be made on the master side, and the
block changes are replicated a la RAID1 but over a network).

I suggest you ask a different question: "can I have failover between two
gluster NFS servers without getting stale filehandles?"

I don't know the answer to that myself, but I have seen messages which
suggests others may have it working:
http://gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-users/2012-June/010700.html