[Gluster-users] Typical setup questions

Joe Topjian joe at topjian.net
Tue Aug 28 18:44:35 UTC 2012

Hi Matt,

On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 9:29 AM, Matt Weil <mweil at genome.wustl.edu> wrote:

> Since we are on the subject of hardware what would be the perfect fit for
> a gluster brick. We where looking at a PowerEdge C2100 Rack Server.

Just a note: the c2100 has been superseded by the Dell r720xd. Although the
r720 is not part of the c-series, it's their official replacement.

> During testing I found it pretty easy to saturate 1 Gig network links.
> This was also the case when multiple links where bonded together.  Are
> there any cheap 10 gig switch alternatives that anyone would suggest?

While not necessarily cheap, I've had great luck with Arista 7050 switches.

We implement them in sets of two, linked together. We then use dual-port
10gb NICs and connect each NIC to each switch. It gives multiple layers of
redundancy + a theoretical 20gb throughput per server.

Thanks,
Joe