[Gluster-users] Crossover cable: single point of failure?

Daniel Manser daniel at clienta.ch
Tue Jun 14 07:28:18 UTC 2011

 Hi Whit,

 Thanks for your reply.

> I do know that it's not the Gluster-standard thing to use a crossover
> link.
> (Seems to me it's the obvious best way to do it, but it's not a
> configuration they're committed to.) It's possible that if you were
> doing
> your replication over the LAN rather than the crossover that Gluster
> would
> handle a disconnected system better. Might be worth testing.

 It is still the same, even if no crossover cable is used and all
 traffic goes through an ethernet switch. The client can't write to the
 gluster volume anymore. I discovered that the NFS volume seems to be
 read-only in this state:

   client01:~# rm debian-6.0.1a-i386-DVD-1.iso
   rm: cannot remove `debian-6.0.1a-i386-DVD-1.iso': Read-only file
 system

 So all traffic goes through one interface (NFS to the client, glusterfs
 replication, corosync).

 I can reproduce the issue with the NFS client on VMware ESXi and with
 the NFS client on my Linux desktop.

 My config:

   Volume Name: vmware
   Type: Replicate