[Gluster-users] tuning gluster performance vs. nfs

Joe Landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Wed Jan 19 21:48:59 UTC 2011

On 01/19/2011 04:24 PM, Ryan Williams wrote:
> I have been tweaking and researching for a while now and can't seem to
> get "good" performance out of Gluster.
>
> I'm using Gluster to replace an NFS server (c1.xlarge) that serves
> files to an array of web servers, all in EC2. In my tests Gluster is
> significantly slower than NFS on average. I'm using a distributed
> replicated volume on two (m1.large) bricks:

Hmmm ... we looked through similar concepts (with non-virtualized hosts)
recently, and found that for large block sequential IO, gluster is
faster (fewer context switches and less network stack to traverse).
There was an about 50-60% penalty (basically context switching in the
fuse layer) associated with the smaller blocks.

To work aruond this, we suggested local caching (if possible) or RAMdisk
caching.  Use gluster for initial distribution of the files, and then
copy them to local storage.  Or turn up the client side gluster caching
so that after initial read, the files come from local cache.

--
Joseph Landman, Ph.D
Founder and CEO
email: landman at scalableinformatics.com