[Gluster-users] GlusterFS Performance gigE

Douglas Stanley douglas.m.stanley at gmail.com
Fri Sep 10 17:28:29 UTC 2010

Wow, that doesn't sound right! I have a gluster cluster at home using
old P4 hardware, and cheap soho off the shelf gigabit switches, and I
can get ~35MB/s writes with dd:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/vol/scratch/foo/test.img bs=1M count=64
64+0 records in
64+0 records out
67108864 bytes (67 MB) copied, 1.76719 s, 38.0 MB/s
dd if=/dev/zero of=/vol/scratch/foo/test.img bs=1M count=1024
1024+0 records in
1024+0 records out
1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 29.3242 s, 36.6 MB/s

And that's with no tuning of gigabit, i.e. no jumbo frames or
anything, everything is stock, and off the shelf. One of my machines
might even be using an old pci 33mhz bus cheap realtek gigabit card.
The above numbers were on a straight distribute between two nodes, 1
brick each. On my other volume that's doing replicate between the two
nodes, I get about 18MB/s (same hardware as above).

Doug