[Gluster-users] Zero byte versions in DHT volume

Vikas Gorur vikas at gluster.com
Tue Jun 8 16:44:02 UTC 2010

On Jun 8, 2010, at 4:40 AM, Dan Bretherton wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> I have found a large number of files like the one below in a DHT volume.
>
> ---------T  1 nobody nobody     0 2010-05-01 18:34 d80bao.daj0710
>
> For those I have checked, a real file (i.e. non-zero size and normal
> permissions and ownership) exists on one brick and its zero byte counterpart
> is on one of the other bricks. I originally found these files by looking in
> the individual server bricks, but I discovered that I can also find them
> using the "find" command in the glusterfs DHT volume itself.  However,
> listing a directory containing these files with "ls" does not list the zero
> byte versions, but instead two copies of the normal versions are shown.
> Does anybody have an idea what is going on?  This strange behaviour is
> clearly going to confuse some users, and there are sometimes also long
> delays when listing the affected directories.  I am using GlusterFS version
> 3.0.3 now but I also noticed this behaviour in 2.0.8.  My client and server
> volume files are shown below.

Dan, my apologies for not fully parsing your e-mail. The existence of link files is normal, but seeing them on the mountpoint or seeing duplicate files is not. This can usually happen due to mentioning the same subvolume twice, as Krishna suggested in the other e-mail.

Vikas Gorur
Engineer - Gluster, Inc.