[Gluster-users] HA NFS

Vikas Gorur vikas at gluster.com
Tue Jul 13 16:31:33 UTC 2010

On Jul 13, 2010, at 7:58 AM, Layer7 Consultancy wrote:

> Hi Chris,
>
> Thanks for your answer, this was also my understanding on how things
> work when using the FUSE client (all storage nodes are described in
> the glusterfsd.vol file and thus the client has connection info to
> them).
>
> However, when using NFS the documentation states that one should
> connect to the 'management IP' and this also seems to be the only
> connection information that the client has.
> If this management IP is gone due to the server going down, there is
> no way the client can know there are multiple other servers who are
> also serving the same content, so unless this virtual IP is taken over
> by another storage node, the client wouldn't know where to route the
> request to.
>
> Can anyone confirm this?

Your understanding is correct. Whether using the native NFS translator or re-export through unfsd, NFS clients only connect to the management IP. If you want failover for the NFS server, you'd setup a virtual IP using ucarp (http://www.ucarp.org) and the clients would only use this virtual IP.

Vikas Gorur
Engineer - Gluster, Inc.