[Gluster-users] gluster ha/replication/disaster recover(dr translator) wish list

Prabhu Ramachandran prabhu at aero.iitb.ac.in
Sat Jan 31 02:22:52 UTC 2009

On 01/28/09 01:36, Keith Freedman wrote:
> At 09:32 AM 1/27/2009, Prabhu Ramachandran wrote:
>> On 01/27/09 02:21, Keith Freedman wrote:
>>> At 10:36 AM 1/26/2009, Prabhu Ramachandran wrote:
>>> I dont see any problems with your config.
>>> other than, if your network connection is very sporadic, then you'll
>>> be caught often by waiting for timeouts which will make things seem
>>> slower.
>>
>> Network connection isn't usually a problem but when the network does
>> go it could be gone for a while.  In the worst case could I
>> temporarily disable the replicate/AFR feature?
>
> you wont need to.  it'll know that the other replica is down and will
> continue working without it, then will auto-heal when it comes back up.

OK, I am now all set and things work really nicely!  Thanks for the answers!

> so there should be no need to change your configuratoin, unless you hate
> seeing all the connection down messages in your logfile.

Well, I can see a couple of cases where it would be expedient to change
the configuration.  Lets say one of the machines losses a disk and the
machine won't be fixed for a week say.  Then, once the machine comes
back up, I could use a different configuration and sync the files
locally on the machine that is available rather than do it over the slow
network.  I am guessing that this should work.

Anyway, I'd like to thank once again the developers for the excellent
software and the support.  Thank you for your patient answers!

cheers,
prabhu