[Gluster-users] POSIX compatibility

Filipe Maia filipe at xray.bmc.uu.se
Sun Jan 18 14:32:05 UTC 2009

Hi,

In the glusterfs
FAQ(http://www.gluster.org/docs/index.php/GlusterFS_FAQ) it says that
glusterfs is fully POSIX compliant.
I think this can be quite misleading because I think for example that
read-write mmap is only supported on very recent linux kernels.
POSIX locks also only work when using the locks translator.

I think a simple note should be added to point out these and possible
other things which are necessary to make glusterfs POSIX compliant.

This might help quite a few people who are for example migrating from
NFS to glusterFS and scratching their heads trying to understand why
some programs don't work anymore.

Filipe