[Gluster-users] NFS replacement

Stephan von Krawczynski skraw at ithnet.com
Mon Aug 31 12:51:36 UTC 2009

Hello all,

after playing around for some weeks we decided to make some real world tests
with glusterfs. Therefore we took a nfs-client and mounted the very same data
with glusterfs. The client does some logfile processing every 5 minutes and
needs around 3,5 mins runtime in a nfs setup.
We found out that it makes no sense to try this setup with gluster replicate
as long as we do not have the same performance in a single server setup with
glusterfs. So now we have one server mounted (halfway replicate) and would
like to tune performance.
Does anyone have experience with some simple replacement like that? We had to
find out that almost all performance options have exactly zero effect. The
only thing that seems to make at least some difference is read-ahead on the
server. We end up with around 4,5 - 5,5 minutes runtime of the scripts, which
is on the edge as we need something quite below 5 minutes (just like nfs was).
Our goal is to maximise performance in this setup and then try a real
replication setup with two servers.
The load itselfs looks like around 100 scripts starting at one time and
processing their data.

Any ideas?

Stephan