[Gluster-users] Adding storage capacity to a production disperse volume

Thomas Pries thomas-pries at web.de
Thu Mar 14 08:56:36 UTC 2024

Hi,

On 14.03.2024 01:39, Theodore Buchwald wrote:

> ... So my question is. What would be the correct amount of bricks
> needed to expand the storage on the current configuration of 'Number
> of Bricks: 1 x (4 + 1) = 5'? ...

I tried something similar and ended up with a similar error. As far as I
understand the documentation the answer in your case is "5".

See:
https://docs.gluster.org/en/v3/Administrator%20Guide/Managing%20Volumes/#expanding-volumes

"... When expanding distributed replicated and distributed dispersed
volumes, you need to add a number of bricks that is a multiple of the
replica or disperse count. ..."

One suboptimal idea could be: divide the new device in 5 partitions and
add these 5 partitions as new bricks and when you get the next device,
move one of this bricks to the new device, and so on ... until you have
all 5 additional devices.

I'm curious for other ideas.

Kind regards

Thomas