[Gluster-users] gluster daemons missing in debian buster 10.5 after glusterfs 7.8-1 installed?

Kaleb Keithley kkeithle at redhat.com
Wed Oct 14 12:55:43 UTC 2020

tl;dnr: some linux distribution package guidelines say it's bad to
automatically start services after installing.

long answer:
The package layout of the gluster packages changed in the base packages of
newer Debian and Ubuntu releases. To be compatible — e.g. to update from
Buster's base glusterfs to the gluster community packages — the Gluster
community packages switched to the same layout. If they used to start
automatically before, and they don't now, that's almost certainly why.

For the most part we just copied the base package debian files, so whatever
the base packages do, or don't do, that's what the community packages also
do, including starting, or not starting the daemons.