[Gluster-users] To RAID or not to RAID...

Markus Kern gluster at military.de
Tue Jan 14 18:33:50 UTC 2020

Hi Strahil,

thanks for you answer - but now I am completely lost :)

 From this documentation:
https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E52668_01/F10040/html/gluster-312-volume-distr-disp.html

"As a dispersed volume must have a minimum of three bricks, a
distributed dispersed volume must have at least six bricks. For example,
six nodes with one brick, or three nodes with two bricks on each node
are needed for this volume type."

So for a distributed dispersed volume I need at least six bricks. If
each brick is a RAID6, I have 6 x 2 Parity disks = 12 disks for parity.

In your example you only have one brick per node in a three node setup.
This is no distributed dispersed volume then, right?

A confused Markus