[Gluster-users] healing of big files

Michael Böhm dudleyperkins at gmail.com
Tue Jan 14 10:37:41 UTC 2020

Am Di., 14. Jan. 2020 um 10:38 Uhr schrieb vlad f halilov <vfh at swemel.ru>:

> Hi there. I'm trying to deploy replicated 2+1 cluster with gluster 5.5.1
> (debian 10) as vm image storage for libvirt, but have an issue with
> healing disconnected node. Example:

> 4) After node5 has reconnected, healing procedure has begun, but looks
> that about to entire file have transferred from synced node to unsynced,
> instead just changed blocks. (ifconfig on node5 showed '        RX
> packets 269790  bytes 5293724127 (4.9 GiB)) - so little less  than 5Gb
> file'   I tried 'difff' mode (gluster volume set vmpool
> cluster.data-self-heal-algorithm diff) but with no effect. Any idea,
> whats wrong?

Actually i think diff should be working the way you expect it to, but diff
is very cpu-intensive as it needs to calculate and check checksums.

I would advise you to look at the example configuration for volumes with
vm-disks, it should be "/var/lib/glusterd/groups/virt". The main thing is
sharding is activated ("split big files internally in many small ones") and
set heal-algorithm to full.

This way heal is very fast, as it only resyncs the changed shards without
the need of checksums. I use it the same way on multiple hosts, each with
about 20-30 vms.

And Check the value of "features.shard-block-size", don't know what the
default is atm - i use 64MB and it works quite well.

Regards.

Mika