[Gluster-users] Gluster setup for virtualization cluster

Markus Kern gluster at military.de
Mon Feb 17 02:59:17 UTC 2020

Greetings!

I am currently evaluating our options to replace our old mixture of IBM
SAN storage boxes. This will be a strategic decision for the next years.
One of the solutions I am reviewing is a GlusterFS installation.

Planned usage:
- Central NFS server for around 25 systems providing around 400 docker
containers
- Central storage for a small VMWare vCenter cluster and a RedHat
virtualization cluster. In total maybe around 15 machines

The following requirements ensue from this:
- Fast storage
- High availability

After reading all kind of tutorials and documentation, I came to the
conclusion that for the expected traffic a "Distributed Replicate
Volume" is the proper setup.

Nothing has been purchased but I think about following small setup for
the beginning (call it PoC):

4 x server, each with 8 x 1.8TB 10k SAS disks in a RAID60
Two 10 GBit interfaces per server: One for communication betweens the 4
systems only (separate VLAN), the other one for regular traffic between
clients and servers.

Does this all make sense?
Generally speaking: Is such a setup capable of providing fast enough
storage for a virtualization cluster?
Do you have any hints?

Thanks

Markus