[Gluster-users] Expanding a distributed disperse volume: some questions about the action plan

Mauro Tridici mauro.tridici at cmcc.it
Thu Jun 7 12:18:34 UTC 2018

Dear Users,

just one year ago, we implemented a tier2 storage based on GlusterFS v.3.10.5 and we can say that it works like a charm.
The GlusterFS volume has been created using 3 physical servers (each server contains 12 disks, 1 brick per disk).

Below, you can find some information about the gluster volume type

Volume Name: tier2
Type: Distributed-Disperse
Volume ID: a28d88c5-3295-4e35-98d4-210b3af9358c
Snapshot Count: 0
Number of Bricks: 6 x (4 + 2) = 36
Transport-type: tcp

Now, it's time to expand this volume so we bought 3 new servers similar to the 3 existing servers. Since we would like to upgrade the Gluster version to last available one, we would like to know if the following action plan is correct and safe:

1) creation of a new gluster distributed disperse volume (6x(4+2)) using the 3 new servers and the new gluster version;
2) copy of all the data saved on the old gluster volume to the new one;
3) complete erasure of three old servers operating system;
4) installation of the last available version of the operating system and glusterfs software stack on the three old servers;
5) expansion of the volume (created at point nr.1) adding the new bricks (created at point nr.4)

If our action plan can be considered "validated", I have an other question:

- in order to copy the data from the old volume to the new one, I need a third machine that can mount both the volumes; it's possible? if yes, which gluster client version should I use/install on the "bridge" machine?

Thank you very much for your attention.
Regards,
Mauro