[Gluster-infra] [Gluster-Maintainers] Gluster community and external test infra

Sankarshan Mukhopadhyay sankarshan.mukhopadhyay at gmail.com
Wed Feb 10 13:37:26 UTC 2016

On Wed, Feb 10, 2016 at 6:45 PM, Kaushal M <kshlmster at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 10, 2016 at 6:29 PM, Raghavendra Talur <rtalur at redhat.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I read about openstack community and how they allow external test infra to
>> report back on the main CI.
>>
>> Read more here:
>> https://www.mirantis.com/blog/setting-external-openstack-testing-system-part-1/

It would be relevant to highlight "In short, an external testing
platform enables third parties to run tests — ostensibly against an
OpenStack environment that is configured with that third party’s
drivers or hardware — and report the results of those tests on the
code review of a proposed patch."

The 3rd party integration and scenario testing path works for a
project like OpenStack because there are (i) such drivers from third
parties which need to be merged into upstream/mainline after sanity
checks and (ii) the distributions/flavors of OpenStack would need
testing as well.

>> I have setup a jenkins server in RedHat blr lab which has 27 slaves.
>> Also, the jenkins server is intelligent enough to distribute tests across 27
>> nodes for the same patch set so that the run completes in ~30mins.
>>

>> Now onto the questions:
>> 1. Would gluster community accept a +1 from this jenkins, if we follow
>> similar policy like openstack does with external test infra?
>> 2. Would RedHat allow a such thing if it is promised that trigger won't
>> happen from Gerrit server but manually from within the VPN of RedHat?

This harness could also reside in any world-available service
instances, if they are available and maintained. It would be
appropriate to check with the specific teams dealing with instances of
internal hosted services reaching out to externally available ones
before arriving at a decision.

>> NOTE: This mail is sent to maintainers at gluster.org keeping in view the
>> security concerns before asking opinion from wider audience. Also don't
>> reply back with any RedHat confidential informantion.

> +gluster-infra

Perhaps Michael or, anyone else could provide a preliminary guidance.