[Gluster-devel] Enabling core and supporting Gluster services to start by default?

Niels de Vos ndevos at redhat.com
Thu Oct 5 14:43:29 UTC 2017

Following the Fedora Packaging guidelines, services should not be
started by default, or require an exception to do so. Because of this,
the packages we provide for different distributions do not enable/start
services either. It is expected that the administrator that installs the
package enables the service as well.

At least for the packages in the CentOS Storage SIG, we can make this
more automatic of we want to. A nice way to enable services by default
without the need to modify the standard packaging (.spec) files is by
providing a systemd.preset(5) file. This file describes what services
should be enabled when the packages get installed.

There are two items that I would like to get feedback on:

a. Which service should not get autostarted after installation? Think of
   services that require configuration, and no usable defaults can be
   provided.

b. Where should the systemd.preset file be maintained and packaged?
   Ideally it should be part of a centos-release-gluster* RPM so that
   the file is present before installing the glusterfs-* RPMs. Should it
   still be maintained in the glusterfs repository, or somewhere else?

Note that not all services need to be part of the main glusterfs-*
packages. At least NFS-Ganesha, Heketi, gluster-block have their own
repositories and packages.

Thanks,
Niels