[Gluster-devel] Back porting guidelines: Change-ID consistency across branches

Shyam srangana at redhat.com
Wed Mar 1 18:45:02 UTC 2017

On 03/01/2017 01:33 PM, Atin Mukherjee wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 1, 2017 at 11:37 PM, Shyam <srangana at redhat.com
> <mailto:srangana at redhat.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hi,
>
>     Our current back porting guidelines requests us to retain the
>     "Change-ID" as generated for the commit in master. See [1]
>
>     I see that this is not followed consistently for all back ports.
>
>     The advantage of having the same Change-ID across back ports to
>     branches and master, is that it gives us a master key, to track
>     automatically, if a back port has reached all relevant branches.
>

> We do have a tool written by Prasanna which can fetch out details like
> which patch from master hasn't been backported to a particular branch.
> refer [1] .

I have used this tool in the recent past (unable to find the source
now). I think it still lacks a unique key, and relies on commit message
similarity (if I am not wrong). We want to eliminate any noise/false
positives here, and rely on a proper key, hence this approach.

This is not to state the tool is bad (it works in the current scheme of
affairs), but that we want better certainty.