[Gluster-devel] [Need Feedback] Monitoring

Michael Scherer mscherer at redhat.com
Wed Jun 14 15:30:59 UTC 2017

Le mardi 13 juin 2017 à 11:14 -0400, Amar Tumballi a écrit :
> All,
>
> Please update the github issue [1], with what are the metrics you need to
> see periodically. These may be metrics which helps you to understand the
> health of the process, or the counters which gives insight into things to
> monitor bottlenecks.
>
> I know there exists 'statedump' feature already. It provides some
> information, but it also does provide more than required info like dump of
> all inode table entries etc. What I am looking here is more of metrics
> based on which, we can get a timebased graph.
>
> A simple example would be what is the number of malloc/free we have done
> till now, and what is the total 'in-use' buffers (like you have info in
> mem-pool), so you can see depending on work load how the memory usage
> varies. A sample implementation i have looks like this [2].
>
> Feel free to ask questions, add pointers, and suggestions. This is not
> about the tool for plotting graph, more of what should get in the graph.

So the first question is:
- who is gonna consume the stats ?

A sysadmin will not want the same stuff as someone focused on having a
SLA to fullfill (like "all request must respond under X seconds").

A team lead or a manager will not care about the same stuff (like,
number of client served, to show to $upper_management that the systemm
is used).

And a developper will not want the same stuff either, as I am quite sure
that they are likely the only ones caring about malloc/free, along with
people focused on optimisation.

--
Michael Scherer