[Gluster-devel] gluster tiering maintainer

Dan Lambright dlambrig at redhat.com
Tue Jan 24 14:14:17 UTC 2017

Dear Gluster Community,

2017 has arrived, and I have taken an opportunity which will require a new maintainer for gluster tiering to replace me. I will continue to be available to help with the feature as a contributor.

As seen in this year's CES conference [1], new storage types are coming fast. Customers will likely use a mix of them, and tiering is a logical consideration. Going forward the feature should support multiple tiers, better performance while migration is underway, and migration according to attributes other than hit rate. Under the hood, tiering should evolve with the rest of gluster (e.g. DHT2), the database vs other algorithms should be analyzed critically, and somehow the codebase should be detached from DHT. All significant and interesting challenges.

Gluster has come a long way since I joined- and I think it will only get better.

Dan

[1]
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/01/04/optane_arrives_at_ces/