[Gluster-devel] [RFE] Allow using an external DB file for extended attributes (xattr)

Niels de Vos ndevos at redhat.com
Tue Feb 14 12:45:01 UTC 2017

Jiri Belka (CC'd) requests a feature to store xattrs in a DB for
filesystems that do not support them. I think this would be a nice to
have, as some filesystems (or OS's) are now excluded from hosting
Gluster bricks. It seems that Samba works around this by storing the
xattrs in a DB (their Trivial Database), and Gluster could be doing this
as well (a DB through the posix xlator?).

We already use SQlite with Tiering, and the libgfdb library should
accomodate the main functionalities already.

Feedback and opinions on this approach are much appreciated. Please send
them by email, or preferably add a comment to this bug:
  https://bugzilla.redhat.com/1419446
  Allow using an external DB file for extended attributes (xattr)

Thanks,
Niels