[Gluster-devel] On knowledge transfer of some of the components

Raghavendra Gowdappa rgowdapp at redhat.com
Mon Aug 21 06:17:53 UTC 2017

+gluster-devel

I am thinking of covering following topics:

* Resolution of path to inodes
  - named vs nameless lookups,
  - fresh vs revalidate lookups,
  - What kind of lookups can happen on various interfaces like fuse, aux-gfid mounts, gfapi and high level discussion of how they need to be handled (for eg., in dht)
  - anonymous fds,
  - gfid/entry resolution in fuse/brick,
  - state in fd/inode,
  - inode table management - fuse, bricks (with brick-multiplexing), gfapi
  - impact of graph switches,
  - healing.

* performance xlators (read-caching) - read-ahead, io-cache, quick-read, open-behind
* performance xlators (write-caching) - write-behind
* performance xlators (dentry prefetching) - readdir-ahead
* rpc/transport. I had already given a talk on this. Will go through the recording to check whether I've missed out anything. will schedule a talk on this if new content need to be added
* Different ways concurrency/parallelism is introduced in Glusterfs - stack-wind/unwind, multithreads, synctasks
  - A brief overview of control flow of a fop in various threads like /dev/fuse reader thread, event-threads, io-threads etc

If I've missed out any topics, please let me know and if it is in my area of expertise will add it to the list. If any of you like to chime in on different topics you are welcome :) and we can work out a schedule.

I am thinking of scheduling a talk of 1 to an hour and half duration every Tuesday 7:30 pm IST. Will send out the actual dates/schedule if this time is comfortable for majority. I am open to alternative time slots too.

regards,
Raghavendra