[Gluster-devel] On backporting fixes

Raghavendra Talur rtalur at redhat.com
Thu Mar 17 02:27:58 UTC 2016

branch and posted a patch at http://review.gluster.org/#/c/13683/ .

assuming that a critical patch has not been back ported to 3.7, correct me
if I am wrong.

tests for certain OS, certain branch etc. I would like to propose that we
stop having tests in main git repo. This will remove need to back port test
only fixes.

>>> Some times what I do is to enhance existing test to handle extra cases
based on new code that is added on master. Until the code-fix is not
backported to lower versions, the tests are not valid. Should we mark such
tests disabled when we do enhancements to .t files?

>> Yes, this case would pose a problem and hence any new code change which
introduces a feature should be tested by a new test(not by modifying
existing test) and bug fix should be immediately backported along with test
fix.

> As Atin mentioned in another mail, it is better to have code + test files
which test code together.

Makes sense,  so proactive back porting of fixes is what we require.