[Gluster-devel] Nightly Pipeline Plans

Nigel Babu nigelb at redhat.com
Thu Dec 15 11:50:26 UTC 2016

Hello folks,

This is a request for feedback for this plan to build a pipeline that will go
from a commit to builds that are tested and signed. While the
nightly.gluster.org site will be up by the time 3.10 is released, we will not
yet be automating releases with this pipeline by then.

# Why
* Create a trusted way to build and distribute Gluster.
* Get our distribution packaging to be less of a mess.
* Automate the hell out of our packaging system so we're not caught out of the
  blue with packaging bugs.
* Fix security bugs discovered via automation so that distributions do not red
  flag us.
* In long-term, this pipeline will replace our current release process.

# How
* Do a nightly build.
* Test the nightly build. To begin with, use Glusto tests (add Coverty,
  rpmlint, and other automated tests in the future).
* If the test passes, build packages from that commit, sign it, and make them
  available on nightly.gluster.org as a repo.

# Potential Issues
* We want to build fresh packages from the known good commit rather than
  copying the packages for security reasons.
* Password-less gpg and security. The solution needs to work for .deb and .rpm

# Detailed Steps
* Trigger the nightly build from build.gluster.org
* Once that passes, trigger a glusto build.
* Once that passes, trigger a new RPM build off separate build nodes.
* The signing machine will pick up the new packages, sign them, and push them
  to nightly.gluster.org
* The signing machine needs to be disconnected from the internet entirely.

# Quantum of Work
* New Jenkins jobs to trigger the process
* A key signing machine isolated from the internet.
* The code to take built packages, sign them, and push them out.
* A machine to deliver the packages running chacra[1].

[1]: https://github.com/ceph/chacra

--
nigelb