[Gluster-devel] Logging framework in Gluter 4.0

Atin Mukherjee amukherj at redhat.com
Fri Nov 6 11:58:27 UTC 2015

On 11/06/2015 01:30 PM, Aravinda wrote:

> regards
> Aravinda
> http://aravindavk.in
>
> On 11/06/2015 12:28 PM, Avra Sengupta wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> As almost all the components targeted for Gluster 4.0 have moved from
>> design phase to implementation phase on some level or another, I feel
>> it's time to get some consensus on the logging framework we are going
>> to use. Are we going to stick with the message ID formatted logging
>> framework in use today, or shall we move on to a better solution.
>>
>> Some good to have features I would like to have in the logging
>> framework are:
>> 1. Specific distinction between logs of various transactions (or
>> operations), that would make it a lot easier to make sense than
>> looking at some serialized log dump
> Externally grouping Message IDs may help in this situation.
Transaction Id is definitely a *must have* requirement when 4.0's theme
is scalability where we are talking about number of servers been
thousands in the configuration with out which analysis of an issue will
be a nightmare. GlusterD 2.0 is definitely going to have logs with txn ids.

>> 2. We often encounter issues, and then find ourselves wishing the
>> process was running in debug mode so that we could have gotten some
>> debug logs. If there is any solution that enables me tracability of
>> the process's flow, without compromising the space constraints of the
>> logs that would be great to have.
> I think after each debugging session, we should revise the log messages
> to get following answers.
> 1. Is something missing in log, which could have reduced the time spent
> to root cause.
> 2. Logging is available but imcomplete details. (For example, on volume
> set, debug message will have key and value but no Volume name)
> 3. Is something redundant or not required. (For example, Geo-replication
> worker logs sync engine as rsync or tar mode. If we have multiple
> workers then all workers prints this log message. Instead if we move
> this log to monitor process instead of worker process we could save some
> space in log files)
>
> With this practice, we can improve our logs over time.
I do agree here with Aravinda, we can do a far better job even at INFO
log level than what we've been doing now.