[Gluster-devel] Logging framework in Gluter 4.0

Avra Sengupta asengupt at redhat.com
Fri Nov 6 06:58:18 UTC 2015

Hi,

As almost all the components targeted for Gluster 4.0 have moved from
design phase to implementation phase on some level or another, I feel
it's time to get some consensus on the logging framework we are going to
use. Are we going to stick with the message ID formatted logging
framework in use today, or shall we move on to a better solution.

Some good to have features I would like to have in the logging framework
are:
1. Specific distinction between logs of various transactions (or
operations), that would make it a lot easier to make sense than looking
at some serialized log dump
2. We often encounter issues, and then find ourselves wishing the
process was running in debug mode so that we could have gotten some
debug logs. If there is any solution that enables me tracability of the
process's flow, without compromising the space constraints of the logs
that would be great to have.

This is kind of an open floor question I am putting across to the
community, with no specific solution in mind at this point in time, but
a concern that we should rather decide on something sooner in the
development cycle than later.

Regards,
Avra