[Gluster-devel] 4.0 ideas

Joe Julian joe at julianfamily.org
Thu May 7 19:04:17 UTC 2015

On 05/07/2015 11:15 AM, Jeff Darcy wrote:
> Last week, those of us who were together in Bangalore had a meeting to
> discuss the GlusterFS 4.0 plan.  Once we'd covered what's already in
> the plan[1] we had a very productive brainstorming session on what else
> we might want to consider adding.  Here are some of my notes, in no
> particular order, for discussion either here on the list or in person at
> the upcoming Barcelona summit.
>
> * Traffic throttling
>    Many internal services need this to keep from crowding out new user
>    requests.

+1

> * Centralized logging

-1 There's already 3rd party applications that do that. Is that worth
the effort to duplicate something that's done very well already?

> * Third-party copy (server to server, at client request)
>    AIUI both SMB and NFS can make such requests, which we currently must
>    satisfy by "bouncing" data through the proxy node.  We could add it to
>    GFAPI as well, for users there who also want to avoid the extra
>    network traffic.

+1!!!!!!1!111!!1!!

> * Better memory management (talloc, maybe even a real garbage collector)

+1

> * Virtual nodes (DHT feature to improve rebalance behavior)
>
> * Hot-spare nodes/bricks

-1 From what I've seen, most users are against spending money on
hardware that's not being used. An auto-rebalance, or some such
mechanism, to ensure redundancy after a failure would be much more welcome.

> * Better faiure detection
>    Detecting failures via pairwise heartbeat (what we do now) doesn't
>    work at scale.  This might become part of the GlusterD v2 plan.
>
> * File level snapshots.
>
> * Finer-grain version/feature negotiation between nodes.

Or at least one that doesn't require user intervention. Right now that
mechanism sometimes fails and the user has to manually set the op-version.

> * Better GFID-to-path translation
>
> * Retire NFSv3
>
> * Make snapshots more modular (not solely dependent on LVM)

+1