[Gluster-devel] Switching from OpenSSL to PolarSSL

Jeff Darcy jdarcy at redhat.com
Tue May 27 15:13:05 UTC 2014

> My only concern is its 'pure' GPLv2+ license — is that compatible with
> with our 'GPLv2 or LGPLv3+' license.

The answer that matters, as always, is that only a real lawyer can say.
My own uninformed guess is that we would be considered a derivative of
them (instead of vice versa) and thus we'd be OK as long as we had
GPLv2 as a (not necessarily only) option.  The thornier question is
what would happen for a piece of code that was derivative of both.  In
that case it might need to be GPLv2 exactly to be redistributable with
both, but - again - that's for the lawyers to say.

> I'm not sure why the BSD-style OpenSSL license was an issue; perhaps
> just the GPL compatibility due to what looks like a weak advertising
> clause. In any event, it's license didn't pollute our code. Do we need
> to have our attorney bless the change.

We'd need to do that anyway, as we should with every incorporation of
new code under new licenses.  On the other hand, I'd be amazed if
PolarSSL's license from the same family as ours was more problematic
than OpenSSL's unique one.