[Gluster-devel] Switching from OpenSSL to PolarSSL

Kaleb KEITHLEY kkeithle at redhat.com
Tue May 27 15:00:06 UTC 2014

On 05/27/2014 09:43 AM, Jeff Darcy wrote:

> So, before I expend a ton of effort replacing this code, does anyone
> else think it shouldn't be done and that the enhancements should be made
> to the current OpenSSL code instead?

The most compelling arguments — to me — are the speed with which things
are fixed and the lack of Heartbleed vuln. PolarSSL appears to be the
clear winner on both counts.

My only concern is its 'pure' GPLv2+ license — is that compatible with
with our 'GPLv2 or LGPLv3+' license.

I'm not sure why the BSD-style OpenSSL license was an issue; perhaps
just the GPL compatibility due to what looks like a weak advertising
clause. In any event, it's license didn't pollute our code. Do we need
to have our attorney bless the change.

--

Kaleb