[Gluster-devel] Regression tests: Should we test non-XFS too?

Ric Wheeler rwheeler at redhat.com
Thu May 15 04:35:22 UTC 2014

On 05/14/2014 04:20 AM, Joe Julian wrote:

> On 5/13/2014 2:55 PM, Dan Mons wrote:
>> Not trying to start a flame war (don't you love posts that start like
>> this).  And also, this might be slightly off-topic in this thread...
> I don't take it as such.
>> ZFS is clearly painful to use in large Linux environments due to
>> licensing, and thus a lack of simple packaging.  We avoid ZFS for this
>> reason, and the fact that due to this reason nobody else is really
>> using it in anger on Linux (or if they are, they're not reporting
>> publicly, so the lack of community documentation pushes us away from
>> it).  Likewise we'll never get support from anyone for ZFS on Linux,
>> so if it blows up in our face, we're stuck.
> Never the less, there are users in the community using ZFSoL. Like any
> community supported open-source software, if you're not using a supported
> platform you're pretty much on your own. I don't think that precludes us from
> trying to avoid breaking something that's already working for some people. To
> paraphrase Linus, "if it breaks [storage] it's a [GlusterFS] bug." It would be
> nice to be proactive on this, imho.

My personal preference is to work on mainstream, in tree file systems and to
work to improve those.

Just to be clear, how you (and your lawyers if you have them!) interpret the
license things are up to you. More than happy to have other people test it out,
but we have no plans for Red Hat employed people to do that.

Same story for other out of tree file systems (some open source, some closed
source) - it is up to those developers and users to test their preferred
combination.

And to poke back at both btrfs and zfs, I do strongly suspect that XFS (and
ext4) will both out perform them for some time to come, especially on
complicated storage with the largest loads.

The reason to look at either ZFS or btrfs is not really performance driven in
most cases.

Regards,

Ric