[Gluster-devel] Release of 3.5.1 alpha/rc slipping

Niels de Vos ndevos at redhat.com
Wed May 14 12:54:56 UTC 2014

At last week's community meeting we tentatively agreed on today —
May 14th — as the date we would release 3.5.1alpha.

There are several bugs attached to the blocker for glusterfs-3.5.1 [1].
Not all of them have either ...

- ... received patches (mostly documentation additions from features,
  carried over from the 3.5.0 release), these are in NEW status
- ... do not have a corresponding patch merged in master, these have
  a depends-on bug that is not in MODIFIED status

The dependency tree shows the main tracker bug on top, the 1st level of
indention are the bugs that need to be resolved for 3.5.1, and any
deeper level indicates that the 3.5.1 bug has a dependency on a bug in
the master branch.

The most urgent bug that needs to be resolved for a 3.5.1 release would
be bug 1089054, which depends on bug 1038391 for the master branch.
This problem makes it more difficult for distributions to package the
release, some files are missing in the 'make dist' tarball and need to
be regenerated. I have sent http://review.gluster.org/7714 for review,
but it seems to have failed regression testing (rpmbuild). I am unsure
why, local builds pass fine. I'd appreciate it if anyone can have a look
at it. (The fact that regression testing is very slow, and the long
queue in Jenkins does not help.)

I'd like to make an alpha or release-candidate available later this
week, assuming that bug 1089054 gets resolved. The documentation
additions have been skipped the last release too already, and there is
no publicly available rendered documentation site available, making
end-user documentation close to unusable anyway.

Comments, ideas and further discussion on this topic is very welcome.
Please voice your opinions and respond to this email, or let yourself be
heard in the community meeting planned for later today.

Thanks,
Niels

¹ https://bugzilla.redhat.com/showdependencytree.cgi?hide_resolved=0&id=glusterfs-3.5.1
² http://review.gluster.org/#/q/project:glusterfs+branch:release-3.5+status:open+NOT+topic:rfc,n,z