[Gluster-devel] Proposal for improvements for heal commands

Jeff Darcy jdarcy at redhat.com
Thu May 8 13:23:04 UTC 2014

> 2) According to the feedback we got, Commands: "gluster volume heal <volname>
> info healed/heal-failed" are not helpful in debugging anything. So I am
> thinking of deprecating these two commands.
>    Reasons:
>    - The commands only give the last 1024 entries that succeeded/failed, so
>    most of the times users need to inspect logs.

Seems reasonable, though if it's just an issue of not keeping enough
information to be useful we could fix that by simply retaining more.

> 3) "gluster volume heal <volname> info split-brain" will be re-implemented to
> print all the files that are in split-brain instead of the limited 1024
> entries.
>    - One constant complaint is that even after the file is fixed from
>    split-brain, it may still show up in the previously cached output. In
>    this implementation the goal is to remove all the caching and compute the
>    results afresh.

This seems reasonable too.  I can't help but wonder if it might be worth
tracking split-brain files using a Merkle tree approach like we did with
xtime, so we could track any number of such files efficiently.