[Gluster-devel] libgfapi and any application

Anand Avati avati at gluster.org
Thu May 1 01:44:07 UTC 2014

Right, this is how the old booster worked. Booster was an LD_PRELOAD'able
module which used libglusterfsclient (previous incarnation of libgfapi) to
provide the exact functionality Joe is talking about. The
libglusterfsclient had both a gfapi-like filesystem API and a thin VFS-like
API on top. We would need such a thin VFS-like API on top of gfapi to make
such an LD_PRELOAD'able library possible.

I see RJ's reference to Parrot. Such a ptrace-like API has crossed my mind
in the past, and that would probably provide a more POSIX compliant
implementation than even LD_PRELOAD, but arguably not as high performant -
you still have context switches and memory copies like FUSE.

I would like to understand the motivation here, is it to benefit the gfapi
performance without incurring the app re-write?