[Gluster-devel] New project on the Forge - gstatus

Krishnan Parthasarathi kparthas at redhat.com
Sat Apr 26 04:09:26 UTC 2014

[Resending due to gluster-devel mailing list issue]

Apologies for the late reply.

glusterd uses its socket connection with brick processes (where io-stats xlator is loaded) to
gather information from io-stats via an RPC request. This facility is restricted to brick processes
as it stands today.

Some background ...
io-stats xlator is loaded, both in GlusterFS mounts and brick processes. So, we have the capabilities
to monitor I/O statistics on both sides. To collect I/O statistics at the server side, we have

# gluster volume profile VOLNAME [start | info | stop]
AND
#gluster volume top VOLNAME info [and other options]

We don't have a usable way of gathering I/O statistics (not monitoring, though the counters could be enhanced)
at the client-side, ie. for a given mount point. This is the gap glusterfsiostat aims to fill. We need to remember
that the machines hosting GlusterFS mounts may not have glusterd installed on them.

We are considering rrdtool as a possible statistics database because it seems like a natural choice for storing time-series
data. rrdtool is capable of answering high-level statistical queries on statistics that were logged in it by io-stats xlator
over and above printing running counters periodically.

Hope this gives some more clarity on what we are thinking.

thanks,
Krish